Friday, December 6, 2013

Five For Friday

It's technically 1 AM on Saturday, but "Five For Friday" was a good title, so I'm going with it. Here's are five standout points for my week!

1. I finished Allegiant by Veronica Roth. It's the third to a trilogy, and the first book will appear in film form in 2014. Yes, it's young adult literature and I'm 24. Make fun of me all you want.


2. On Monday, Max and I went to a Thanksgiving party with the Americans on Corteo. The food was delicious and the company was even better! The party was at a hotel, and we set up the square dining tables into one large dining room table fit for 32. It was potluck, and Max and I decided to make a salad. No one had claimed making a salad and I figured salads are kind of a no brainer, and heaven knows I can't cook. 

Max and I went to the grocery store and got all of our ingredients, and then we went home to get to work. We realized pretty quickly that it wasn't going to go as planned. Since we are living out of a hotel, we didn't exactly have all of the kitchen necessities. We sliced the vegetables with Max's Leatherman knife, and after washing the lettuce, I shook it outside on the balcony. I need to ask Santa for kitchen knives and a salad spinner. While Max and I were cooking, I received a text message from my friend Alix that said, "how am I supposed to peel potatoes with a butter knife?" At least we were all in the same boat! 






3. While we are on the subject of Alix, I'll move on to number three. Max and I bought dried beans for the salad, but we didn't have enough time to prepare them for the Thanksgiving party. Alix's hotel room is directly above ours, and we both have balconies. Max came up with the brilliant idea to throw dried beans at Alix's glass sliding door on her balcony in an effort to scare her. Max would take handfuls of dried beans, hang over our balcony, and then toss them against the glass. It sounded like a mixture between rain sticks and something a bit more dangerous.

Moments later, I receive a text from Alix that says, "Do you hear that? It sounds like someone is throwing things at our building"! 

That's because someone was throwing things at your building, Alix! The next day, I had hives (we'll get to that later) and in an effort to cheer me up, Max said, "You want to go throw beans at Alix?". I obviously said yes. Once again, Max starts throwing beans at Alix's glass sliding door. After a few minutes of Max throwing, me laughing, and the sounds of the beans hitting the glass, Alix peeked over the edge to see Max staring straight up with a handful of beans! It turns out that Alix thought the white beans on the balcony were some kind of pills, so that made it even more hilarious. 

4. One night this week, I woke up in the middle of the night super itchy. When I'm itchy, it's usually because I have dry skin. Since I was sleeping, I reached across the bed to the nightstand and grabbed my new lotion, which I had put on for the first time after I showered earlier that night. I rubbed in some more lotion while I was borderline asleep, hoping to keep the itchiness astray. It didn't work, and after a long battle with the itchiness, I decided to get up and look at my skin. I turned on the bathroom light around 4 AM, and immediately freaked out at the sight of a blonde headed Hitch staring back at me in the mirror! I was covered in hives from my face down to my ankles.

I immediately started frantically telling Max, who was asleep, and he very calmly told me to come back to bed because looking at it wouldn't help. I immediately got mad at him because I knew I couldn't just easily head back to bed when my entire body felt like I laid in a giant ant bed, but to give him some credit, it was the middle of the night and I tend to be (very) overdramatic. In his mind, I probably had a couple of bumps on my arms. 

I realized pretty quickly that I had just used new lotion that night after I showered and that I was coating it on in my sleep thinking I had dry skin, so I jumped in the shower and tried to get it all off. Then I took an antihistamine hoping that it would settle down the Hitch-y-ness, and I tried to get back to sleep. Sleep didn't exactly happen, and it took several hours for the hives to settle down. 

I was freaking out because I knew I couldn't show up to work looking like I got mauled by mosquitos, and I wasn't sure if I had some contagious rash like Scabies. Because the hives wouldn't go away, we decided to go to a clinic. Long story short, we were given verbal directions to the clinic, and we didn't go to the right place. The place we went to was a clinic, but I learned later that we were definitely at the wrong place! It's a little difficult to know whether or not you're in the right place when you don't understand any signs or what anyone is saying. I was crying, Max was trying to console me, and I felt helpless. We went back to the hotel, and I put on long sleeves and long pants and headed into work. The hives were gone by the time that I arrived at the Big Top, and I quickly realized how much I overreacted about a case of the hives!

After I finished the day at work, I went home thankful for a man who listened to me cry and stress all morning. I opened our hotel room, and on the living room table, he had found a way to turn my day upside down. He made me a miniature Christmas tree including a Brazilian soccer-playing Santa Claus and bought us a Poinsettia. He also bought me my favorite candy, a pair of Havaianas, put out a picture of our dog, and bought me some new lotion so I wouldn't get hives again! He also wrote me the sweetest note. Somehow I ended up with all the gifts after I caused all the drama that morning! I'm so thankful for my husband, and that God created men to calm us crazy women down!


5. This week was my first time to do more than that artistic flying in the show. I have been doing the first combination in the show this week, which is the most basic combination in the show. On Tuesday, one of the guys that I work with filmed my first time being passed between the catchers without the longe! I was nervous to take the harness off, but everything has gone smoothly this week and I'm blessed to be in the hands of such talented catchers. I still have so much to learn, and I'm looking forward to it!




I hope everyone has a great weekend! We have two shows on Saturday, two shows on Sunday, and then we are off on Monday and Tuesday. I'm excited to use those days to spend some time with friends and start packing for Rio de Janeiro!

No comments:

Post a Comment