Monday, May 7, 2012

[Act I. Scene i.] Enter Abigail Schmidt

Here I am.

I was born Abigail Alyss Adams on April 19, 1989 in Cleveland, Ohio. My dad, John Quincy Adams (no, I'm not kidding), was completing residency at the Cleveland Clinic when I was born.


 Before I could roll over, my mom (Lucretia, and I'm still not kidding) and dad moved our family to my favorite state, Texas. I lived in THE Woodlands until I was 8, spent 3 WONDERFULLY rural years in Brenham, Texas, and then moved to Spring, Texas where I remained until I was 18.

Family. I am one of three children born to my parents who have been happily married for nearly 32 years.


I realize this belongs on www.awkwardfamilyphotos.com

I have an older sister, Leah, who is the epitome of an older sister. She's 5 years older than me, and she is bossy, rule-breaking, and independent. You may think I'm being mean, but she's everything that I've ever wanted to be. She's never pushed over (me), never too chicken (me), and she can organize any mess into perfection (NOT me). She's also the most amazing mother to my precious nieces, Hadley Angel and Harper Reese. 


Yes, she's had TWO kids.

I have an older brother, Austin aka "bubba", and it would take a lot more than a paragraph to describe him. Those of you who know him know exactly what I mean. He is completely outlandish. He wears neon converses, can make anyone laugh, and my nieces call him "Gunkle". He's logical, loyal, and LOUD. He really loves Jesus.

Both of my siblings are married to amazing people, and when we are all together with our spouses, it feels like it has always been the six of us.  


I know this family section is getting long, but equally important are my in-laws. My husband's parents have been a beautiful impact on my life. They have shown *NOTHING* but unconditional love toward me since the day that I met them. Praise Jesus for my second set of parents. I love you, Mama Kate and Pops! My husband also has a big brother, Brandon, and is married to a blonde bombshell, Erin. They have two little girls, Willa and Tatum. I know, FOUR NIECES under the age of 3! What's a girl gotta do for a nephew?!




I saved the best for last. I am married to my handsome husband, Max Schmidt. We met in class our junior year of college at the University of Maryland. GO TERPS. He played lacrosse and I was a gymnast. He enables me to face my fears, address my faults, and achieve my dreams. We face the future together. He makes me better. We got engaged December 24th, 2010 at my aunts house, less than a year after the day that we met. We were married by my brother 8 months later on August 13, 2011 on the Riviera Maya in Puerto Morelos, Mexico. We have a sweet, red labrador who is named Maya after our wedding location.





Maya aka My-My

School. I graduated from Klein High School in 2007, and the University of Maryland in 2011. I have a BA in English specializing in Renaissance Literature. Hence, reading and writing are soothing to my soul.

Gymnastics. I started gymnastics when I was five years old. I competed level four through international elite before heading to college. After four years of collegiate gymnastics, I retired at the age of 22. Little did I know, the opportunities that gymnastics has given me are countless. Gymnastics gave me discipline, dedication, and it was an outlet for me to become an individual. It lead me to the east coast, my husband, and is continuing to open BIG doors. Let's get one thing straight though; my gift is from God.

Don't forget to tell my mom that you like my bowl haircut.





Faith. I grew up attending church. I grew up as a Bible-believing, morally driven, perfectionist with a knack for southern etiquette. When I was a junior in college, life happened. Although I would say that I have loved Jesus since I was a little girl, I wouldn't say that I really applied the Bible to my life until I met my husband. Growing up, my belief system was mostly sparkles. It was like a new sequin top getting worn for the very first time at a New Year's Eve party. My belief system was sparkly, fun, and it looked ever so perfect. When I met my husband, he helped me to realize that my life in Jesus isn't the happy act that I had been living. In fact, it's not about me at all. I value my flaws, my darkest days, and my most sincere pains because they tell my story of how Christ continually leads me through redemption. 

He is near to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18


This is my life. This is my testimony.



2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful blog and introduction

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) You are hilarious. I am literally laughing out loud at "John Quincy Adams" and "Lucretia". I love telling people their names because it's so absurd. 2) Your brother is outlandish. And he does really love Jesus. 3)You're right, your siblings ARE married to amazing people. 4) Nephew - I'm TRYING, geez.

    ReplyDelete